I'm thinking about you and how you would say my name. The way your voice trailed off at the end and that sexy smile would emerge. I miss that...have I told you? of course not, that's not allowed in this space and time of us. Things have changed but there was a once upon a time when nothing was off limits with you and I. So in tuned that we read each other's thoughts before they hit the air. Was that love? My bestest buddy...
I remember how you would hold my hand like a father holds a daughter's, like a husband holds a wife's, like a guardian of a soul...you held so much more than my hand each time you reached for me. In your presence I lay down my artillery and let you be... the man...a man. Looking up to you, towering over me always placing that frontal lobe kiss of reassurance and I closed my eyes each time...able to exhale and be a woman...safely.
Somewhere in that time I found a piece of me that I haven't been able to find when I'm alone. That safe space of being a woman, enjoying the sight of myself. I was able to enjoy the softness of my skin and appreciate my natural scent mingled with traces of baby lotion, egyptian musk or shea butter. Mostly I found it was easier to breath in that space, to cry and release what was inside without time restraints worrying about how long do I have to BE.
I miss you. I miss your chocolate smooth skin again my caramel lightness. I miss your scent lingering in my skin, hair, clothes. I miss your hands around my waist always seeming to secure my balance literally and figuratively. I miss passionate kisses and flushed faces in cars on the ride from airports. I miss showers in the dark and the sound of your heart against my head as I lay on your chest when the world was just too much to bear. Was I there when the world was too much for you? I hope so...
I recall conversations that pushed me and moved me to depths where I didn't think I could exhale thoughts into. I miss silence and deep penetrating gazes, your soul reaching into mine caressing the fragile girl inside of me. No I am not broken...no I am not desperate. I just wanted to love someone and you let me love you in a way that I have never been able to duplicate. With you, I gave freely, yet I always in all this...still held back, not because of you but those that had been close to me before. Still you tried to be there.
I thank you for the experience of learning about the unfolding of relationships from strangers in a fast food restaurant to lasting touches upon souls. With you Khalil Gibran's words on love came to life for me. I was shaken at my very core and never realized how much until it was all over. I laid to loving and being loved by you. It's taken me almost 10 years to fully begin to understand what I was blessed to experience of myself and you...and it doesn't matter because I KNOW that somewhere there will be a time again for us to pause from our busy lives...look into one another's souls and smile at the friendship that will never die.
My bestest buddy...always.
Happy Valentine's day.
10 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


wild heart run free! that was beautiful.
ReplyDeleteyeah we gotta get that book published huh? LOL
ReplyDelete